The other day I was visiting my new friend’s modern home residence and couldn’t help but notice how delightful her indoor heating and cooling system felt. It was unlike anything I had experienced before, not only was it very comfortable, but it was almost as if there was a special sort of air pressure within her entire home. When I asked what sort of HVAC system they were using, she immediately got very serious. She told me that it actually wasn’t their choice to install the new ventilation system, but it was a major safety precaution for their living situation. I guess that right after they purchased the home, they had a home inspection performed for any possible indoor hazards which turned up an unexpected contamination in the basement. There was a harmful natural gas accumulating in the downstairs area which desperately needed to be contained away from the living spaces upstairs. This dangerous gas was called Radon, and it was a radioactive by-product of the natural decay of environmental uranium. Now I was immediately intrigued – where was this uranium, exactly? Apparently the radioactive element was contained in the rockbed and ground water surrounding her new home, and her basement had direct exposure to the Radon gas emissions. As such, the home inspector instructed them to install a fancy pressurizing home ventilation system which established positive pressure in the upstairs living areas. That way, the Radon gas couldn’t travel upstairs and infiltrate their entire home, where it would become a major carcinogenic hazard. So much for that wonderful HVAC system, I would rather live with my faulty temperature control than Radon gas!